Home Page

What are the different types of Special Education Needs provided for and what support is available for children with SEND in Lark Rise Academy?

We provide appropriate and engaging education for all children with a wide range of special educational needs.  The following outlines the types of need supported at Lark Rise Academy:


Area of Need

Information from the Special Educational Needs and Disability Code of Practice: 0 to 25 years



Communication and Interaction

6.28 Children and young people with speech, language and communication needs (SLCN) have difficulty in communicating with others. This may be because they have difficulty saying what they want to, understanding what is being said to them or they do not understand or use social rules of communication. The profile for every child with SLCN is different and their needs may change over time. They may have difficulty with one, some or all of the different aspects of speech, language or social communication at different times of their lives.


6.29 Children and young people with ASD, including Asperger’s Syndrome and Autism, are likely to have particular difficulties with social interaction. They may also experience difficulties with language, communication and imagination, which can impact on how they relate to others.



Cognition and Learning

6.30 Support for learning difficulties may be required when children and young people learn at a slower pace than their peers, even with appropriate differentiation. Learning difficulties cover a wide range of needs, including moderate learning difficulties (MLD), severe learning difficulties (SLD), where children are likely to need support in all areas of the curriculum and associated difficulties with mobility and communication, through to profound and multiple learning difficulties (PMLD), where children are likely to have severe and complex learning difficulties as well as a physical disability or sensory impairment.


6.31 Specific learning difficulties (SpLD), affect one or more specific aspects of learning. This encompasses a range of conditions such as dyslexia, dyscalculia and dyspraxia.




Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties

6.32 Children and young people may experience a wide range of social and emotional difficulties which manifest themselves in many ways. These may include becoming withdrawn or isolated, as well as displaying challenging, disruptive or disturbing behaviour. These behaviours may reflect underlying mental health difficulties such as anxiety or depression, self-harming, substance misuse, eating disorders or physical symptoms that are medically unexplained. Other children and young people may have disorders such as attention deficit disorder, attention deficit hyperactive disorder or attachment disorder.



Sensory and/or Physical Needs

6.34 Some children and young people require special educational provision because they have a disability which prevents or hinders them from making use of the educational facilities generally provided. These difficulties can be age related and may fluctuate over time. Many children and young people with vision impairment (VI), hearing impairment (HI) or a multi-sensory impairment (MSI) will require specialist support and/or equipment to access their learning, or habilitation support. Children and young people with an MSI have a combination of vision and hearing difficulties.


6.35 Some children and young people with a physical disability (PD) require additional ongoing support and equipment to access all the opportunities available to their peers.

Types of Support

Class teacher input via excellent targeted classroom teaching also known as Quality First Teaching.

For your child this would mean:

  • That their teacher has the highest possible expectations for them and all pupils in their class.
  • That all teaching is based on building on what they already know, can do and can understand.
  • Different ways of teaching are in place so that they are fully involved in learning in class; such as more practical learning opportunities and the use of ICT.
  • Specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENDCO or outside staff) are in place to support them to learn.
  • Their teacher will have carefully assessed your child and identified any gaps in their understanding/learning, as a result, some extra support may be organised to help them make the best possible progress.

All children in school recieve this as a part of excellent classroom practice when needed.

SEND Support following the Graduated Response: Specific group work with in a smaller group of children.

This group, often called Intervention Groups or Booster Groups by schools, may be:

  • Run in the classroom or outside in a smaller room.
  • Run by a teacher or more often a teaching assistant who has had training to run these groups.
  • One to one tuition programmes.

For your child this would mean:

  • S/he may engage in group sessions with specific targets to help him/her to make more progress.
  • A Teacher/teaching assistant or outside professional (such as a Speech and Language Therapist) will run these small group sessions using the teacher’s plan.
  • Specific adaptations may be made to the learning environment to help your child engage in their learning e.g. seating position, specified questions, additional time for thinking about their ideas etc.

N.B: This type of support is also available to any child who has specific gaps in their understanding of a subject/area of learning.

SEN Support following the Graduated Response: Specialist groups with targets set by outside agencies e.g Speech and Language Therapy or Occupational Therapy

When a child’s needs are more significant and the decision has been made to seek advice from outside agencies, their guidance is always implemented in school. This may be from:

  • Local Authority central services such as the Autism Advisory Teacher, Sensory Service (for children with a hearing or visual need), Educational Psychology.
  • Outside agencies such as the Speech and Language Therapy (SALT) Service.

For your child this would mean:

  • Your child will have been identified by the class teacher/SENCo (or you will have raised your worries) as needing more specialist input instead of, or in addition to Quality First Teaching and intervention groups.
  • You will be invited to come to a meeting to discuss your child’s progress and help plan possible ways forward, in order to further support their progress.
  • You may be asked to give your permission for the Academy to refer your child to a specialist professional e.g. a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help you and school staff better understand your child’s particular needs in order that they can be supported effectively.

NB: The specialist professional detailed above would work with you and your child to understand their needs and make recommendations, which may include:

    • Making changes to the way your child is supported in the classroom e.g. some individual support or changing some aspects of teaching to support them more effectively.
    • Support to set improved targets using their specific expertise.
    • Group or individual work with a member of staff
  • The school may suggest that your child needs some agreed individual support in school. School staff will discuss with you all about the strategies that can be put in place.

N.B: This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups.

SEND Support following the Graduated Response: Specified individual support for your child

Individual support is usually provided through an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). This means your child will have been identified by the class teacher/SENDCo as needing a particularly high level of individual or small group teaching, which cannot be provided from the budget available to the school.  Your child will also be in receipt of specialist support from one or more external professional.

For your child this would mean:

  • The school (or you as their parent/carer) can request that the Local Authority carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process which sets out the amount and type of support that will be provided for your child.
  • After the school has sent in the request to the Local Authority (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you as his/her parent/carer), they will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided) seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment. If this is the case they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs. If they do not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue with the current support.
  • After the reports have all been sent in, the Local Authority will decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex and lifelong and whether they need an high level of consistent, specialist support in school to make good progress. If this is the case they will create and Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) for your child using all the information provided to them. If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with the support in place and also set up a meeting in school to ensure a plan is in place to ensure your child makes as much progress as possible.
  • The EHCP will outline outcomes for your child as well as the number of hours and type of support your child will receive from the Local Authority, Education, Health and Care services as required.
  • An additional adult may be used to support your child during whole class learning, to run individual programmes or deliver small groups that involve your child.

This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are:

  • Severe, complex and lifelong
  • Need more than 20 hours of support in school